NCFE Level 1 Functional Skills English
This qualification is ideal for learners wishing to develop practical, transferable skills in English in order to work confidently, effectively and independently in life. It is suitable for a wide range of individuals and is fundamental to the successful completion of various wider qualifications and frameworks, such as Apprenticeships.
3-4 Month Course: The aim of this qualification is to equip learners with the fundamental applied skills needed to succeed in all aspects of life, work and learning and develop their understanding and skills in:
Speaking, Listening and Communication – make a range of contributions to discussions in a range of contexts, including those that are unfamiliar, and make effective presentations.
Reading – select, read, understand and compare texts and use them to gather information, ideas, arguments and opinions.
Writing – write a range of texts, including extended written documents communication information, ideas and opinions, effectively and persuasively.
- Make relevant and extended contributions to discussions, allowing for and responding to others’ input
- Prepare for and contribute to the formal discussion of ideas and opinions
- Make different kinds of contributions to discussions
- Present information/points of view clearly and in appropriate language
- Identify the main points and ideas and how they are presented in a variety of texts
- Read and understand texts in detail
- Utilise information contained in texts
- Identify suitable responses to texts In more than one type of text.
- Write clearly and coherently, including an appropriate level of detail
- Present information in a logical sequence
- Use language, format and structure suitable for purpose and audience 55-60%
- Use correct grammar, including correct and consistent use of tense
- Ensure written work includes generally accurate punctuation and spelling and that meaning is clear in more than one type of text.
- Aged 16+
- Legal right to live and work in the UK*
- You must have completed Initial Assessment and IAG with us
- Assessment Interview
Method of Assessment
- Paper based exam / Presentation
- All 3 components within the Functional Skills English qualification must be achieved
Course Duration - Mode of Attendance
- 3 to 4 Months - Flexible: Day classes, Weekends, Evening