A bank loan for £300 - £10,000 to support a course of up to 2 years (3 years if work experience is included). The course must improve your employability or, if you already have a job, your career prospects. The Government pays the interest on the loan whilst you are in learning The bank decides whether you can have the loan. Your application will be passed directly to your chosen bank, who agree the conditions with you.
- You must be aged 18 or over
- You must meet the residency conditions for the program
- You must be a UK citizen
- You must be "settled" in the UK and have been ordinarily resident in the UK for the last three years prior to the start of your learning program.
- You must be intending to work in the EEA when you have completed your course
- Your course must start within 8 weeks from the date of your application
- Not subject to any County Court Judgement (CCJ's), been declared bankrupt or defaulted on any credit agreement in the last 6 years.
You must start to pay the loan back one month after your course finishes, even if you fail, leave early, or your training provider goes out of business.
If you fail to pay back your loan, your credit rating will be affected and the bank will apply their normal debt recovery processes.
To complete this application form you will need:
Your National Insurance number
Your bank details
The details of your course and provider
Costs covered by the loan
- Up to 80% of your course fees or all of the fees if you are unemployed.
- Other course costs – books, equipment, travel expenses, childcare and any costs associated with a disability
- Living expenses – cost of food, clothing, housing, fuel, council tax (unless you are working for more than 30 hours per week).
- You must not be getting any other grants or state benefits, which cover these costs.
Supporting documentation of some or all of the information entered on your application may be required by the issuing bank.
Further information can be found on the National Careers Service website
For advice on types of funding for your course, call NCS on 0800 100 900, Monday to Sunday, 8am to 10pm.
Please read the applicant guidance document, which contains all relevant information.